This exciting project will deliver a new modern 2,250m2 development including a new landmark building that includes a cafe, gallery, exhibition space and viewing decks. It also includes sheltered seating areas and pop-up trading, craft and performance spaces. Plans also take in the building of 15 new modern beach huts and six new luxury holiday lodges.
The new structure, which will stretch along the Sutton on Sea foreshore, will see the addition of surrounding green and open spaces around existing features. This will provide a mix of additional leisure facilities and recreational activities to enhance community wellbeing and civic pride.
These proposals will seek to improve links between the High Street, promenade, beach and coastal path to enable the hosting of additional local events and activities, as well as driving further footfall through the town through the year.
The project will be delivered by demolishing the existing Colonnade structure which was constructed between 1948 and 1955 and has suffered the damage one would expect while exposed to an aggressive marine environment. The new design has been based on community consultation which has established almost universal support for the opportunity to replace, rather than repair, the Colonnade with a new and improved structure.
It is expected the new Colonnade will:
- Provide a ‘bridge’ between the garden level and the promenade level, incorporating a lift as well as stairs, so that it will work for everyone;
- Create a look-out or observatory to take advantage of the sea views that is easily accessed from the gardens – and vice-versa;
- Create an interesting and attractive new sea-facing venue (café, bar, restaurant).
- Introduce a gallery space for a constantly changing series of exhibitions; something to keep bringing people back to see what’s on this week.
- Introduce alternative uses for the bowling greens, with suggestions including
a covered outdoor performance area;
- Install replacement beach huts to be built with versatility in mind – both in use and location/relocation out of season, allowing them to be used for pop-up events as well as private hire;
- Retain the paddling pool.
See more information here: https://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/colonnade